Smash Gyms MMA includes a systematic blend of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, Wrestling, Judo, Kickboxing into a comprehensive weekly training program that will safely progress beginners at an accelerated pace. Our classes are designed as a path for the average person to progress safely and quickly into a well-rounded martial artist and athlete. Our programs have proven to be highly effective in both Self-Defense, MMA, and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu sport competition. You will find our uniquely structured classes are presented in a format highly conducive to learning while maintaining a strong focus on safety.
The core system of techniques taught in our classes fit the following criteria...
- The techniques are applicable to both gi and no-gi grappling.
- The techniques are not be attribute-oriented. Anyone learn to apply the techniques regardless of body type or athleticism.
- The techniques are applicable to self-defense and MMA type situations.
Smash Gym's MMA program includes multiple class options in each core MMA discipline daily. Our specialized classes will help you develop a well rounded arsenal of skills with every class feeling like a semi-private lesson. Each day you will have BJJ Black belts help you with your ground game, train takedowns with Division 1 Wrestlers, learn from veteran kickboxing instructors with 20 years of teaching experience, and improve your strength and conditioning classes with our amazing fitness program. The core of the techniques being taught can be applied both in gi and no-gi grappling. Our beginner friendly Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes are also designed to be fun, safe, and great exercise!
Trainers in our Mixed Martial Arts Program include...
Brian "The Beast" Kuhn has been a life-long student, competitor and instructor in the Bay Area martial arts community. He has close to 20 years of teaching experience in a variety of different disciplines including karate, kickboxing, MMA and self-defense. His passion for martial arts and enthusiasm is known to be contagious in every class he teaches. Brian has spent the better part of the last two decades passing on his vast knowledge and skills as an Instructor at West Valley College and Saratoga Community Center.
Brian's versatile and comprehensive martial arts resume includes a Fourth Degree Black Belt in Shotokan Karate, Brown Belt in Judo, Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, and competitive Kickboxing and San Shou experience. A veteran competitor of Karate, Judo, Jiu-jitsu and Kickboxing tournaments Brian showed composure, experience and technique on his way to winning a gold medal at the 2011 BJJ US Open for Smash Gyms.
Brian earned his Bachelor of Arts Degree majoring in Kinesiology at San Jose State and is also a Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists. With his extensive experience, systematic training techniques and passion for teaching, Brian's goal is to develop each Smash Gyms kickboxing class into an exciting and dynamic learning experience.
2011 US Open Champion
2012 All Star Champion
2012 American Cup Champion
2012 US Open Champion
Mike has been studying martial arts and self-defense for over 11 years and has acquired a diverse background in a wide variety of disciplines.
He began studying martial arts for general fitness and to gain discipline but quickly became passionate about his training.
Starting with Kung Fu he was focused on the self-defense and street fighting aspects of fighting. Mike then began studying combat sports to expand his knowledge. He has studied Muay Thai, MMA, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Boxing.
Mike grew into a ferocious competitor and has fought in sanctioned MMA fights and BJJ tournaments in both California and Nevada.
Mike earned a silver medal at one of the largest Jiu-Jitsu competitions in the US, the 2012 US Open. Mike is a dedicated student and instructor and is happy to pass on his knowledge to the students at Smash.
-2012 US Open Championships Heavyweight Second Place
- Michael Jen - Smash Gyms Head BJJ Instructor, 3rd Degree BJJ Blackbelt, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt since 2001
- Rudy Sanchez - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt
- Eli Sanchez - D1 College Wrestler, San Jose Open Medium Heavy and Absolute Champion, 2011 BJJ by the Sea Champion, US Open Championships 3rd place
- Jacob Palomino - 3X Wrestling State Champion and 2011 BJJ US Open Champion
- Sam Spengler - 2011 Jiu-Jitsu by the Sea Champion, 2011 Jiu-Jitsu by the Bay Champion, 2011 San Jose Open Champion
- Brian Kuhn - Shotokan 4th Degree Blackbelt, Judo Brown belt, 2011 US Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Champion, 2012 US Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Champion
- Filip Novachkov - D1 College Wrestler, Pac-10 Finalist, California High School State Champion, 3x CA State Placer, 3x CCS Champion, 2012 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu American Cup Champion
- Seo Perales - 2X US Open Champion, 3rd and 5th place in the World Championships, BJJ Blackbelt
- Mike Herrera- 2012 US Open Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Finalist
- Mario Rios - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Blackbelt